This Italian bread with irregular shape it’s called Ciabatta because remind us the shape of old shoes or sleepers. The dough is very wet and seasoned with olive oil. Baking produces holes and inside and a nice chewy crust.
- Sift the flour for the base in a big bowl and mix the yeast for the base with water, mix them together slowly.
- Put the base on a floury board and knead it for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Put the base back in the bowl, cover with oiled cling film and leave it to prove in a warm place for 12-15 hours.
- Put some flour on a baking tray. Mix flour, salt and sugar in a big bowl. Mix the egg yolks and water in a small bowl and then add the base. Add the milk while mixing with a wooden spoon and slowly add the flour mix and the olive oil, keep mixing for 15 minutes, the dough will be quite wet and impossible to work with your hands.. Don’t worry!
- Cover with oiled cling film and let it prove for 2 hours or until it ‘s doubled in size.
- Using the spoon put a third of the dough in the baking tray trying not to turn the dough upside down. Grab some flour and with your hands make the loaf irregular shape, about 2,5 cm thick. put some flour on the surface and let it prove for 30 minutes. Do the same with the rest of the dough in order to form 3 loafs.
- Pre-heat the oven at 220 degrees and bake for 25 minutes until the loaf sounds empty when you knock with your fingers on the base.