When I think about this dish I feel like home, a warm steamy plate of aubergine parmigiana, straight out from the oven, the flavour of mozzarella and a nice tomato sauce, the fresh basil and you don’t need anything else. It’s perfect as main in the cozy, cold, wintery evening, but also with a small portion as a nice starter with some crusty bread.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees. Start with the aubergines: wash and dry them, cut them in slices lengthwise thick 2-3 mm. Put in a colander and season with the sea salt. Leave for about 30 minutes with a plate on top.
- Now prepare the sauce, heat the oil with a garlic clove (when it’s getting golden remove it), pour the chopped tomatoes and few whole basil leaves. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the aubergine slices, dry them and coat them with flour, fry them in the very hot oil and put them on a paper towel to dry.
- In a oven casserole tray pour some tomato sauce, put some aubergines on top to cover the sauce, then cover them with more tomato sauce, parmesan and mozzarella, you can also put few leaves of basil if you want. Carry on with the same layers 3 or 4 times and finish with tomato sauce, Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 20 minute. Then remove the foil and cook for 10 more minutes or until the top is nice and golden.