This is a healthy option, dairy free with low sugar and reduced amount of gluten, perfect for breakfast, tea time or dessert.
- Start with the berries marmalade: in a sauce pan put the fresh (or frozen) berries, 150 g of sugar, a tablespoon of honey and the juice and zest of 1 lemon. Let it simmer until it reduces and starts thickening. The trick of the teaspoon it is still the best to understand when it’s ready: take a teaspoon of marmalade and put it in the freezer, after 2-3 minutes check the consistency, if it is the one you want then you can turn the heat off and let it rest until completely cool.
- For the crumble: put the flour, ground almond, brown sugar, lemon zest in a bowl and mix well. In another bowl whisk the wet ingredients then add them slowly to the dry mix. When the mix start sticking together stop mixing and just finish crumbling with your fingers, be careful not to overwork the mix.
- When crumble mix and marmalade are ready, put the almonds in a frying pan and toast them for few minutes, then cut them in pieces.
- In a cake tin put the cake together starting with a layer of crumble mix, cover the bottom of the tin and press gently in order to make the layer uniform. Add a layer of marmalade spreading evenly. Now add the last layer of crumble mix, this time just spread it with your finger on top of the whole marmalade layer but don’t press down. Add the toasted almond chunks on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 40-45 minutes until the top of the cake is golden.